Thursday, April 2, 2015

Perk Musacchio - Unionville Elementary School

For the last 65 years, the fall has meant the start of a new school year.  As a student and teacher, I was always excited for the start of a new year.  Even as a young child, I always said I wanted to be a teacher. The big question was what to teach.  Originally, I planned to teach French and Spanish.  However, during my senior year in high school, a volunteer opportunity in a special education class completely turned my world around.  I knew then that I needed to work with elementary students with special needs.  This year marks my 39th year with the UCFSD. I absolutely love the challenge of teaching young children.  Each year brings new challenges, but I enjoy seeking out new information, different programs and strategies, and ways to help a struggling student be successful. I enjoy the "detective work" of figuring out why learning is difficult and how to best meet the needs of each child.  In addition, I work with dedicated colleagues who have become my dearest friends.  I have made lifelong friends of parents of former students.  I have taught children and grandchildren of former students. I now teach with former students. However, the highlight of my teaching career came several years ago, when a former student contacted me to see if he could volunteer on his breaks from college. Three years later, he is our dedicated, competent and extraordinary volunteer who will make a fabulous teacher or counselor.  He always says that he wants to work with students who have special needs because of how I helped him in the primary grades. That is why I teach.  I can truly say that there were very few days when I went to "work".  Isn't that what we all want?  To find a career that fills our mind and heart and makes getting up every morning a joy.  Teaching is the only profession that makes all other professions possible.  I am proud that I have made a difference in the lives of many children.